Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Super Easy Chicken Fajitas


Did I say super easy? Oh yes, I did. In my home, this is an easy, fast, weeknight meal to throw together. I usually have the tortillas and taco seasoning already made so all I have to do is cook the chicken and peppers. If you want to make this even easier, just pick up a bag of frozen bell peppers and onions! I have done this before in a pinch and it still tastes great! You could also just buy the tortillas from the store, but after making these, I just can't go back! Yum!

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas:

-adapted from the recipe at Hot Pot Cooking. This recipe makes A LOT of tortillas. You can halve the recipe if you just want them for one dinner for four people. I like to make a lot and use them for the kids lunches for the week.

Ingredients:

2 cups white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
8 Tbs oil (I use canola)
salt- to taste
warm water- as needed

Directions:
Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and oil in a bowl until crumbly. Slowly add warm water until a soft dough forms. You don't want it to stick to your hands, but it should be malleable. Form the dough into small balls about 1 1/2-2Tbs of dough in each. Roll the balls out on a smooth surface. I use a silicone baking mat which works perfect and makes it easier to peel the dough off of.
I roll mine just until I can start to see through it. (See the circles from the mat.) About 1/8" thick. I like mine thin, but do what you prefer. If you roll them too thick though, you well end up with something that resembles pita bread.

Now I use my rolling pin to carry my dough to a hot pan on medium-high heat. Cook on one side until it bubbles up and is slightly golden on the cooked side. Flip and cook until slightly golden on the other side. Serve warm. I keep my extras in a ziploc in the fridge for up to 5 days.



Easy Chicken Fajitas

-serves 4
Ingredients:

3-4 chicken breasts cut into small strips
1/2 a medium onion sliced
3 bell peppers (your choice of colors) sliced
2-3 Tbs taco seasoning or more to taste (recipe below)
2 Tbs oil
toppings- avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, hot sauce, etc.

Directions:
Heat oil in a large pan or wok on high heat. Add chicken and cook until brown. Lower heat to medium and add onions and peppers. Add taco seasoning and stir to combine. Cook on medium-low heat until onions and peppers are softened and chicken is cooked through. About 10 minutes. Serve in warm tortillas with toppings of your choice!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

-recipe courtesy of Rachel Cooks

Ingredients:

1 Tbs chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1/2 to 1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
1 tsp black pepper

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together and store in an air tight container. 
-Add 2 to 3 Tbs of this mixture plus 1/2-3/4 cups of water to 1 pound of cooked meat. Simmer mixture in pan until very little water is left.


I use this taco seasoning all the time! Its great on any kind of meat! I even use it for venison steak fajitas! I will usually double or triple this recipe so I don't have to make it for a while. As you can see, I keep the recipe taped to the inside of my spice cabinet. That way I don't have to look it up every time. I'm horrible at remembering recipe quantities! 

I hope you enjoy this recipe, well I guess all three of them!

Do you have any awesome Mexican inspired recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment