Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Spanish Rice- A Pressure Cooker Recipe


Yes, I have been using my pressure cooker all the time now! Since trying one of the recipes in the "Magic Pot Cook Book" and it turning out amazing, I just had to try some of the others. I really wish I had some more information on this book for you but there isn't anything in it except a "forward" type page signed by a "Kathy". Kathy, if you wrote this book, I am a huge fan! So far the recipes I have used have turned out amazing!


This recipe for Spanish Rice turned out amazing! I believe its my favorite recipe so far! I usually make my Spanish rice in a covered pan on the stove, but then it takes 30 minutes or more to cook. This recipe takes 6 MINUTES to cook!! That's it! It took longer for me to cook the taco meat than it did for the rice! I even substituted the fresh diced tomato for a can of petite diced, and it worked great. I also omitted the cheese since I can't eat dairy. You could use a dairy free cheese though and I'm sure it would be great. Since it is just 2 adults, a toddler and a baby in my home, I froze half of the rice for another time. I haven't heated it up yet but I'm hoping it turns out pretty good after being frozen.

Pressure Cooker Spanish Rice

Ingredients

2 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 large stalk celery, diced
2 cups hot tap water
2 cups long grain white rice
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 cup Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, grated


Directions

Heat oil in cooker over medium heat. Saute onion, bell pepper, and celery gently over medium heat. Pour water into cooker and bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the grated cheese, close lid and bring to pressure. Lower heat and cook 6 minutes. Remove from heat, carefully reduce pressure and open lid.
Pour rice mixture into a sieve or colander to drain off excess liquid, if necessary. Put rice in a serving bowl and stir in the grated cheese. OR put rice in a shallow oven-proof dish, sprinkle the grated cheese on top, and place under preheated hot broiler until cheese melts (2 or 3 minutes). 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment