Wednesday, August 27, 2014

WIAW- Sugar Detox Update

I recently may have gained some new readers, so just to clarify, WIAW stands for What I Ate Wednesday. It is a link up I do most Wednesdays over at Peas and Crayons. It's fun to link up with my weekly eats and check out other bloggers eats as well! Check it out and join in on the weekly fun if you feel so inclined.

Only Whole Grains- week 2 sugar detox

So far this week's eats look like this:

Monday:
Breakfast- vanilla greek yogurt, coffee with local honey
Lunch- leftover pulled pork on a piece of homemade whole wheat bread. (I forgot the salt in the bread recipe so it turned out a little bland. They rose perfectly but then deflated in the oven. I'm guessing it maybe had something to do with the salt? Also, for the sweetener I used half molasses, half maple syrup instead of the honey.)
Dinner- Mongolian "beef" and Broccoli with brown rice (I used a venison roast instead of beef.) It turned out great with the venison and I will definitely make it again if my hubby gets another deer this year! The only thing I have to say is the sauce was WAY too sweet! (maybe because I have been doing the sugar detox?) I will use less brown sugar next time.

Tuesday:
Breakfast- Peanut butter whole wheat toast, coffee-black
Lunch- Tuna sandwhich on whole wheat bread with half an orange

Dinner- Guacamole Bacon Burger on whole wheat bun, sweet potato fries, steamed broccoli. I took my dad out to dinner for his birthday. We went to Red Robin. I should say that I am pretty sure the whole wheat bun was not 100% whole wheat. So I may have cheated a little... That burger was so incredible,though!

Wednesday:
Breakfast- Bob's Red Mill gluten free hot cereal topped with coconut milk, blueberries, and maple syrup.


Lunch- will probably left over hot cereal, maybe topped with some chopped veggies and balsamic vinegar... I'm not quite sure yet.
Dinner- will be "Taco Slop"  oh my gosh I love this recipe! I have some leftover brown rice that I cooked on Monday that I will serve with it.

Snacks I've been eating:
fruit
celery with peanut butter
sargento cheddar cheese sticks
and this vegan protein shake


It has only vegetable proteins and no soy. It is sweetened with sugar and stevia so I will only be able to have this for another week or so. For now, though, it's great when I'm needing a snack or some extra energy. Better than a soda, right? I found it at Albertson's if you were interested. It was only $18.99 if I remember correctly.
Next week is No Desserts! I might die. Okay probably not, but the only natural sweeteners I can have will be a little added to food or coffee/tea, or in yeast bread. I have been having cravings quite a bit lately. I am pretty sure it's because of the dang cookies I made last week. I am feeling it.
I have been recently taking a round of antibiotics for a persistent UTI. I tried curing it without them (took d-mannose supplement) but it just wasn't going away. It's a good thing I am doing this sugar detox, though, because the antibiotics are killing the good bacteria as well as the bad. Eating more sugar will only feed the bad bacteria and could cause me to get even more sick. I know I will feel 100 times better at the end of this 8 week challenge!

Have you ever done a sugar detox diet? What was the hardest part for you?




2 comments:

  1. I don't want to be a downer but just want to caution you that eating any kind of grains or starch might still get prevent you from being able to completely detox from sugar cravings and all that. :) I hope this journey goes well for you!

    --Linda @ www.thefitty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Yes, this challenge is 8 weeks long. I will be cutting out all grains and starchy foods in the coming weeks.

      Delete