Friday, July 11, 2014

Dairy and Egg Free Skillet Cookie

My youngest is now 8 months old. He has been eating solids here and there but still mainly breastfeeds. I am still cutting out dairy, egg yolk, and soy, since he was allergic when he was younger. I have slowly been able to add certain things back into my diet. At first I thought chocolate might have been an allergen, but it doesnt seem to bother him now. I'm assuming it was the soy in the chocolate that may have been the culprit.I have been able to do small amounts of soy (vegetable oil, or soy lecithin ingredients) here and there, but not a lot. (I don't like to eat a lot of soy anyway)

The other day I was craving a Pizookie (you know the delicious concoctions from BJ's that make your mouth water just looking at them). Well I figured I would search through Pinterest to find a dairy and egg free recipe. Well needless to say, I couldn't find one. So I decided to try my hand at making one. The recipe I used for the dough is from Crunchy Creamy Sweet, Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies. I had to do some trial and error with the cooking but in the end it came out amazing! Here is the recipe:


Adapted from Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/4 C packed dark brown sugar
1/2 C canola oil
6 Tbs coconut milk (or other non dairy milk)
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 C all purposed flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt (decrease if using sea salt to sprinkle on top)
1 C vegan (non dairy) chocolate chips- or vegan carob chips
course sea salt for sprinkling on top

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12" skillet with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl wisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt). In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, milk, granulated sugar, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and fold in. You don't want to over mix the dough. When about half of the flour mixture is incorporated, add the chocolate chips and fold everything in. This cuts down on mixing.
Poor dough into greased skillet and press gently to flatten mixture evenly, just barely to the edge of the pan. Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes. Check your cookie at 25 minutes. If you like a gooey cookie, take it out, if you like it fluffier, cook for longer. Don't forget, while cooling in the pan, it will continue to cook slightly. Top with your favorite toppings. I use So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream. Yum! Try not to eat it all at once!




No comments:

Post a Comment