Monday, August 18, 2014

Sugar Detox Challenge- Day 1

I have always had a sweet tooth, okay sweet TEETH! Since having my children I have changed our diet to include less and less processed foods, but I just love my baked goods! I love sweets, breads, ice cream, chocolates, you name it! A while ago I learned about candida overgrowth and how this can affect your body physically and emotionally. I'm not sure I have a candida overgrowth but I do eat a lot of the foods that could cause it. I have been telling myself for a while now that I should do something to change that.

Well, somewhat suddenly, my friend informed me she was taking the Sugar Detox Challenge. It is an 8 week gradual detox of sugars to help reduce your cravings and change your diet for the better. She invited me and some others to take it with her. I figured, what the heck! I have been meaning to do this for a while now, I might as well stop puting it off! 

So in order to keep myself accountable, I've decided to share my journey with you! For the next 8 weeks I will post about the challenge and how it's going. On Monday I will introduce that week's challenge and on Wednesday (when I usually do my WIAW- what I ate Wednesday link up) I will write about how it's going and what I've been eating. I encourage you to join me! If you have a huge sweet tooth, or just would like to reduce the amount of sugar in your diet, you should take the challenge! If you would like to purchase the e-book please click here. I recommend getting it but you don't HAVE to. It has some great information about the different types of sugar and it also has some meal plan ideas for each week.

If you do take the challenge please feel free to comment on my posts about how it is going for you as well!!

Sugar Detox Challenge- Week 1

No High Fructose Corn Syrup

You will want to check any processed foods you may have. This includes pre-packaged bread, condiments and dressings, etc. Look for high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, or fructose on the labels.

Because we have cut out a lot of processed foods in my house already, this one shouldn't be too incredibly difficult. I do drink a Coke every so often and I love cereal! (Vanilla Chex is my weakness!) I have been a lot better with those though and like I said, I haven't been eating them very often. So far today hasn't been too bad. I think this week will be ok. Today we ended up going to the new Sprouts Farmers Market for our groceries (which is pretty far from us). The kids wanted a snack for the drive home and I did have to stop and think about what to get for us all. We ended up getting some peanut butter filled pretzels. (sans HFCS) Next time we need to go out I will have to be better prepared!

Will you take the Sugar Detox Challenge with me?

2 comments:

  1. A friend and I were just talking about doing this this morning! I already eat wheat free and fairly low carb, Are you going to use alternative sweeteners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I cut out refined sugars I will probably use mostly honey or maple syrup as sweeteners. But eventually I will have to cut those down too. You could also use turbinado sugar, or stevia leaf. No artificial sweeteners at all though.

      Delete