Saturday, August 17, 2013

Mom McMuffins

I haven't quite decided what days I will set for blogging. I don't think I will usually blog on the weekends, but we will see how it goes in the next week or so. I did, however, want to share with you this super simple recipe that I finally decided to make yesterday!

My husband never has time to eat breakfast before he leaves for work early in the mornings. If he doesn't eat breakfast at all, though, he complains of being overly tired. I've tried numerous simple things for him to grab and eat on the go or when he gets to work but nothing ever sticks. A few weeks ago I decided to try making some frozen breakfast burritos. (I added a pound of bacon to that recipe) They were a great idea in theory, and still might be if I added more meat and less veggies. That was his only complaint. On my end, compared to these homemade mcmuffins, the burritos were a lot more time consuming. There are tons of recipes for these "Mom McMuffins" all over the internet and Pinterest, but this is how I made them. Mind you, I'm sure I could have made these much healthier with better ingredients, but my husband is not picky so I used what I had on hand.



First, cook frozen sausage patties (if they are not already pre-cooked) and eggs in two separate pans on the stove. You can also cook your eggs in a muffin tin in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20min. I have not tried that way yet though. I made them on the stove like I do my usual morning eggs. Cook the eggs on medium heat until the bottoms are set. Then add a couple tablespoons of water and put a lid on the pan. Cook them on medium-low until they are done.



While those are cooking, toast your english muffins lightly either in the oven or in the toaster. Then set up a station. Lay out english muffins, put one half of the cheese down, then a sausage patty, an egg, and the other half of the piece of cheese. Let it sit for minute before you put the other half of the english muffin on.



Wrap each muffin in a paper towel and put in a small ziploc. Then you can put them in the freezer like that or put them all in a larger ziploc to keep them together. (Which is what I did because it felt more organized!)



Yes, there are only 5 muffins in the bag because I, of course, had to do a little quality control to make sure they were good enough for my husband. ;)

So there you have it! Super easy, and much cheaper and healthier than the fast food alternative!

Mom McMuffins

Ingredients:

6 English muffins 
6 sausage patties (pre-cooked or fresh)
6 eggs
6 slices of cheese (your choice)

Directions:

Cook sausage patties (if not pre-cooked) and eggs in two pans on the stove. While cooking, lightly toast english muffins. Layout muffins on counter. Place one half piece of cheese on each muffin. Then place one sausage patty and one egg on each muffin. Next add the other half of cheese slices on top of those. Let sit for a minute or two and add the top of the english muffins. Freeze muffins.
To reheat: place frozen muffin in a paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes.

Do you have a favorite quick and healthy breakfast recipe?


No comments:

Post a Comment