Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Azure Standard Drop at Pinkpeas

A few months ago I was at a Le Leche League meeting on my side of town and had the great fortune of being introduced to the non profit organization Pinkpeas. They are a group of midwives, doulas, and childbirth/ lactation educators who help families through pregnancy and parenting. They offer a wide range of classes, from childbirth education to support groups to prenatal care. They are a family based community so feel free to bring your children! Pinkpeas was designed with children in mind, as they have a wonderful play area and even a park right out back!


My first visit to Pinkpeas was on a Tuesday morning, to a class called "The Mashup". It honestly was just a time and place for mothers to get together while their children play together either inside or outside at the park. Even though I was new, I felt completely welcomed by all the women and had a wonderful time. It was nice to get out of the house for both myself and my daughter. Now, we are currently taking a Bradley Method birthing class at Pinkpeas as well.

After talking with a few of the girls there, I heard about Azure Standard. It is a bulk and organic food delivery service that comes once a month. There are several drop locations for this service in Las Vegas, and Pinkpeas is one of them. I decided to try it out this month to see the quality of food and if it is cheaper than buying at Whole Foods every week. I didn't want to order by myself the first time, since I wasn't sure of how much we would actually use. So I asked my mom (also a huge advocate of whole/ raw foods) if she wanted to go in with me on this order. She of course agreed!


At my first look at the order guide, I was completely overwhelmed!!! Holy cow, they have so many different things! Grains, dairy, meats, produce, canned goods, essential oils, bath products and the list goes on!! All I could think was "Where the heck do I start?!" After talking with one of the girls who handles the drops at Pinkpeas, she filled me in on what she normally orders from them. Her advice was to just look for what you normally use everyday. I wouldn't recommend getting a bunch of produce unless you are splitting it with someone else or plan on freezing some, otherwise you probably wont use it all before it goes bad. I did order a couple produce items to split with my mom this time, though.

After your order is placed and paid for, the truck drops off the orders at Pinkpeas. Everyone who ordered shows up to lend a hand helping unload the truck and organizing the orders. It really is a quick process with everyone helping! Plus, while you are waiting, the kids get to play together!

Melody playing with a couple of the girls at Pinkpeas
I was hoping to get a few pictures of everyone helping unload the truck but I didn't. (Jeez Devin!) I know, I'm slacking! I'm still getting used to capturing my life on film for blogging purposes!

5lb bag organic carrots-$6.25, 10oz package organic baby spinach-$5.00, 3lbs rBST free butter-$3.60 per lb, 2 small bags organic avocados-$3.50 per bag, 2lbs bulk raw almonds- $12.95, 2 dozen organic range free brown eggs- $7.15, .5oz bottle tangerine oil- $2.90

2 whole organic chickens aprox. 4-5lbs each- $3.83/lb, Ezekiel bread- $4.20 

I still have some research to do as to whether some of these things would be cheaper at Whole Foods or not, but from the looks of it, it seems to be about half and half. I know the almonds are cheaper this way, and I'm sure that most of their bulk grains are cheaper as well. I will order some next month. I think the avocados are cheaper than Whole Foods as well. I think it will take some ordering trial and error for me to figure out the best items to purchase through Azure each month. Overall though it was a fun new experience for me!

If you are interested in learning more about Pinkpeas or Azure Standard, please visit the Pinkpeas website. Just call their phone number listed.

Also, Pinkpeas is having a great fundraising event called Pinkpeas in the Park, on  September 28th from 5pm-8pm. They will have all sorts of vendors and fun activities! I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment