Wednesday, September 3, 2014

WIAW- Week 3 Sugar Detox Challenge

No Desserts

This week I have to cut out all desserts. No cookies, candy, ice cream, chocolate(AHHHH!), etc. Even if it is made with all natural sweeteners it's out! I'm missing my chocolate already. (This doesn't include the sweeteners in yeast breads or added to things like tea or coffee.) Before I cut out all dairy because of my son's allergy, I used to have a bowl of ice cream after dinner almost every night! I did have some coconut ice cream while I was dairy free. That somewhat helped with the craving. I actually had some frozen yogurt for the first time in 9 months, right before I started the sugar free challenge. It was delicious! Since I haven't been eating dessert every night, though, it really hasn't been too difficult cutting it all out. I do crave chocolate every so often. Actually, I crave carob chips. I was using those instead of chocolate chips and I would grab a few once a day or so just for a small treat. It seems my cravings for sweets are becoming less often and less severe. I think once I switched to only whole grains, it has helped tremendously. Cutting all grains out completely may be the really difficult part for me. I have never been grain free for any amount of time. I'm curious to see how my body reacts to that!

So here's my eats so far this week:

Monday:
Breakfast- whole wheat pancakes with real maple syrup, 1/2 grapefruit (I may have over done it slightly with the syrup)


Lunch- grilled cheeseburger on whole wheat bun, with french fries- my husband wanted to grill burgers so I told him to make sure to grab whole wheat buns. Unfortunately they had high fructose corn syrup in them. Did I eat them? Yes, I cheated.

Dinner- Carne and polo asada, guacamole, beans- some friends of ours got together for Labor Day and they made carne and polo asada on the grill. It was delicious! Yes I ended up having 2 corn tortillas with my food. Yes, second cheat of the day. Although, I still think I did fairly well considering it was Labor Day. Could I have passed on the refined grains? Probably. 

Tuesday:
Breakfast- peanut butter whole wheat toast, 1/2 grapefruit

Lunch- Quinoa with veggies (green onion, mushrooms, red bell pepper) and balsamic vinegar.


Dinner- grilled flat iron steak, steamed broccoli, and 1/2 baked sweet potato. (Sweet potatoes are another weakness of mine.)

Wednesday:
Breakfast- 1/2 grapefruit, peanut butter whole wheat toast, coffee with some honey.


Lunch- will most likely be another quinoa veggie bowl

Dinner- I have planned suasage and sauerkraut with potatoes in the slow cooker. This is one of my husbands favorite meals. Unfortunately the sausage has corn syrup as an ingredient. I'm not sure how the body reacts to this as opposed to high fructose corn syrup(I will be researching this), but I imagine it isn't too different. I still shouldn't have it. 

Next week is no more refined sugars at all! I think I have for the most part already cut most of them out. I will have to read labels more carefully just to make sure!

Don't forget to link up with your eats, too!

2 comments:

  1. I eat completely sugar-free, grain-free (and as a result of no grains, gluten-free). I noticed a massive difference to how I felt once I got rid of sugar and grains, it's like night and day! Eating more good fats helps with the cravings, and a good old dose of carb-flu (aka sugar and carb withdrawal) will help get you on the path you want to be on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete