Monday, September 15, 2014

Fall Garden 2014


I spent the weekend planting the rest of the seeds I had for the garden. Well all except the cabbage and broccoli. I'm a little nervous about planting them since I've had such a problem with bugs on my pumpkin plants. I may try to start them indoors, but I haven't decided yet.

The squash bugs are a REAL problem. I have been spraying neem oil to get rid of them, but it's a war that if I let my guard down for even a couple days, they will get the upper hand. I've already had to pull out a couple plants because they took over.


Here is one of the plants that they were pretty bad on. They are even on the flowers.


I really hope these plants can survive these annoying critters! I guess this is one of the lessons learned with my first garden.

Next to the pumpkins and squash I planted radishes on both sides. Supposedly they are good for keeping the squash bugs away. I haven't noticed a difference yet. I'm not sure how the companion planting works with these, they may need to be in the ground longer to actually help.



Over the weekend I planted the carrots, lettuce, chard, onions, and celery. It's still pretty warm here, so I hope everything works out. I guess I will see! To see all the types of veggies I planted see this post. I am also planning on planting some garlic but not until October.

A week or so ago I added some more of the bat guano fertilizer to the whole planter. I will save the fertilizer pellets I received from Azure Standard for later.


With most of the seeds planted, now I will just have to wait and see what works and doesn't work. I have to keep telling myself that it's a learning process and I will most likely have a lot to work on the next time around.


Have you ever started broccoli or cabbage indoors? If so do you have any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment